Nobody wants to admit it, but sometimes people LIE to you so they don't hurt your feelings. You should know it happens . . . because YOU do it too.
Here are the six phrases people use when they're about to lie to you or say something harsh. According to psychology experts, we use them because we feel like they distance us a little bit from the lie, which makes us feel better about it.
1. "I want you to know." Example: "I want you to know your new MILEY CYRUS haircut looks great."
2. "As far as I know." Example: "As far as I know, everyone's excited about your destination wedding in Iraq."
3. "I'm just saying." Example: "I'm just saying, we don't HAVE to follow the herd and do something special on Valentine's Day."
4. "I hate to be the one to tell you." Example: "I hate to be the one to tell you, but people are saying your PT Cruiser isn't the pimpmobile you think it is."
5. "Don't take this the wrong way." Example: "Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm not sure you're the right person to give advice on body odor."
6. "To be perfectly honest with you." Example: "To be perfectly honest with you, I'd give you any organ in my body. But not, uh, until my schedule calms down."